TOURISM - PLACES TO VISIT

PENICHE’S BOBBIN LACE MUSEUM

Peniche Bobbin Lace is widely considered the ex-libris of the area’s crafts, an essential reference in cultural heritage and an asset of substantial relevance, recognized both in Portugal and abroad.


Peniche Bobbin Lace very possibly dates back to more than four centuries ago and the making of bobbin lace was an art passed from generation to generation. Peniche Bobbin Lace grew a reputation abroad from the mid-nineteenth century onwards, winning numerous awards and honours in international fairs.


Today, Peniche Bobbin Lace represents a renowned cultural heritage, which combines new applications and old patterns in a centuries-old handicraft.


Multiple initiatives aim at promoting Peniche Bobbin Lace, such as the inauguration of the monument to lace makers, the Mostra Internacional de Renda de Bilros de Peniche [International Peniche Bobbin Lace Show] and the creation of creative synergies for the innovation and use of bobbin lace.


Integrated in the district council’s museum network, Peniche’s Bobbin Lace Museum opened in July 2016 and is dedicated to the study, conservation, enhancement and dissemination of this important Pencihe cultural heritage in its material and immaterial aspects.

Bobbin Lace is undoubtedly part of the cultural heritage of Peniche’s people – a Living Heritage, which is proof of the identity, memories and secular traditions of the area.

INTERPRETATIVE CENTRE OF ATOUGUIA DA BALEIA

Integrated in the Museological Network of the Municipality of Peniche, the Interpretative Centre of Atouguia da Baleia - CIAB, aims to study, value and enhance the historical and cultural heritage of the county, offering an integrated vision of the Historical Region of Atouguia da Baleia. This Museum contains various scientific fields ranging from geology and paleontology to archeology and history, including human geography and anthropology.


This project involved the rehabilitation of a historic building - the church of St. Joseph, also integrated in the visit to the CIAB - and the construction of the annexed building, interpretative centre. Since 2007 the work concerning the study, inventory, conservation and enhancement of the integrated or integrating heritage has been developed in the museum space or in situ. Of these, we highlight the conservation and restoration of all pieces/estate that belong to the CIAB, emphasizing the work done on the altar piece of the Church of S. Joseph, as well as the Participatory Inventory of Cultural Heritage, which, with the support of the community and population living in the different towns of the parish, allowed a better understanding of the cultural heritage that belongs to Atouguia da Baleia.


PENICHE FORTRESS

Built by decree of D. João III in 1557 and finished in 1645, it was considered by D. João III the main marine entrance to the PortugueseKingdom. The Peniche Fortress has important features: not only the typical star shaped form, but also the rounded bastion – the first fortification built in the Peniche peninsula – the Sentinel Tower and the Santa Bárbara Chapel.

This stronghold has seen its grounds used in many different ways, according to the needs and historical changes of each period. A military stronghold of vital strategic importance until 1897, it has been a shelter to the Boer refugees from South Africa in the early twentieth century, a residence for the German and Austrian war prisoners during the First World War, a political prison for the Estado Novo between 1934 and 1974, a temporary lodging for Portuguese families coming from the former overseas colonies in 1974, and from 1984 on it receives the Municipal Museum.

The Peniche Fortress has special relevance as an important historical witness to the national and local character.

ROSARY FOUNTAIN

A territory traditionally short in drinking water, the Peniche peninsula displays until today a landscape marked by a diverse range of fountains and wells, of which one of the most important is the Rosary Fountain.

The Rosary Fountain
is a majestic diving well, in which, for ease of use, an accessibility ramp and a small indoors courtyard was built, allowing the carriages and animals transporting the precious water to the village to turn around.

Probably built in the 16th or 17th centuries
, to tend to the needs of the land, it was restored in the18th century, according to the 1717 inscription engraved on the rocks in the entry archway.



FURNINHA’S CAVE

The Furninha’s Cave, located on the south coast of the Peniche peninsula, is a natural cave used during pre-historical times, and is one of the most important pre-historical sites of the municipality.

Currently located along the sea, this cave was used from the Middle Palaeolithic period to the end of the Chalcolithic era, and was excavated in the 1880s by the researcher Nery Delgado.


Used as a shelter
and a cemetery, this pre-historical site has given ample archaeological spoils, such as: osteological remains from many hominids, namely Homo Sapiens (Neanderthal Man) and Homo Sapiens Sapiens (Modern Man); remains of animal life from the quaternary period (fish and mammals); utensils from the lithic period (bifacials, spear heads, polished stone axels…); bone utensils; and many ceramic pieces from the Neolithic period (the celebrated suspended vases of the Furninha Cave).

These numerous remains are spread throughout many museums. One of them is the Peniche Municipal Museum.

S. PEDRO CHURCH

The S. Pedro Church is located in the heart of the historical centre of Peniche, and it is the largest place of worship in the municipality.

This church, dating from the end of the16th century, is divided into three aisles. In the lateral aisles there are many altars consecrated to sanctities such as Nossa Senhora da Boa Viagem, Senhor do Bonfim, or São Pedro de Alcântara. In the central aisle, there is the barouche majesty of the main chapel, consecrated to S. Pedro, embellished with golden engravings and displaying beautiful dorsal columns, besides many 18th century paintings representing the life of the patron saint.

It is without doubt the most imposing church of the municipality
.

MISERICORD CHURCH

The Misericord Church, dated from the beginning of the 17th century, belongs to the Peniche Misericord House.

This church, attached to the old Peniche House of Misericord Hospital, shows a rare interior design beauty, visible in the tile panels of the 18th century, in the oil paintings, some of great dimension, that decorate its walls with scenes related to evangelical moments, and in the ceilings decorated with adorned frames, illustrated with scenes from the life and passion of Christ.

NOSSA SENHORA DOS REMÉDIOS SANCTUARY

The Nossa Senhora dos Remédios Chapel, located in the most occidental extreme of the PenichePeninsula coast, is the base of a Sanctuary dedicated to worshipping the Holy Mary. The date of this church’s construction is unknown; however, it is supposed to have been built in the 12th century.

According to the legend, the Holy Mary was found in the 12th century, hidden in a cave located where the chapel is today, what gave rise to the worship of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios.

The importance of this worship, translated into annual pilgrimages and to the popular festivals, is supposed to have motivated the creation of the Sanctuary in the 17th century. The Sanctuary is composed of the Chapel and a front square squirted by houses in which the hermit and the churchwarden used to live, and where the pilgrims were sheltered, and the horse stables were located.

Some of the important features of this temple are the main chapel, were the image of Our Lady is worshiped, the 18th century ceramic panels alluding to the chapters of the Passion of Christ, and the so called small chapel of the Dead Lord, where an image of Christ named Senhor dos Remédios is worshiped.

S. JOÃO BAPTISTA FORTRESS

The St. John the Baptist Fortress is located in the Berlenga Island, its construction was ordered by D. João IV in 1651 and it was concluded in 1656. Built to prevent the island occupation by the North African corsairs or greater enemy powers, it survived until June 1666, when the most remarkable war episode of its history took place.

In this occasion, a Spanish squad, composed by fourteen vessels and a caravel, commanded by D. Diogo Ibarra, beset the St. John Baptist fortress. A small guard, with less than twenty men, and depending only on nine artillery pieces, defended this fortress bravely. The Guard under the command of corporal Avelar Pessoa, managed to resist during two days to the fierce enemy assault, as well as inflict important losses to the enemy forces, translated into a large number of casualties, a sank vessel and two other highly damaged vessels, suffering only one casualty and four injuries.

The depletion of the resources and ammunition, and the flight of some soldiers, exposed D. Diogo Ibarra to a dramatic situation in the Portuguese defence, and culminated in the S. João Baptista Fortress surrendering.

TOURIL - ATOUGUIA DA BALEIA

Dated possibly from the 17th century, the Touril, as it is known nowadays, seems to correspond to a structure used occasionally as the stage for bullfighting affairs, by the idle royal family and nobles frequently lodged in the neighbouring Paço da Serra de El-Rei.

It is still possible to observe from the Touril, located at the plaza in front of the Nossa Senhora da Conceição Church, in Atouguia da Baleia, the many stone protections settled in the ground circumscribing the “arena”, displaying the three traditional holes.

The Touril of Atouguia da Baleia represents one of the rarest, and at the same time oldest, examples of its genre in Portugal.

S. LEONARDO CHURCH - ATOUGUIA DA BALEIA

The St. Leonardo Church, located in the old Atouguia da Baleia village constitutes the oldest Christian temple in the municipality, dating from the 17th century. According to the tradition, this church in gothic style, consecrated to St. Leonard, was built using the bones of a whale that run ashore.

It presents a beautiful portal in its façade with a pointed arch finished by capitals where stylized mythological entities are displayed. It is also noteworthy to mention the rosette, and the bell tower, finished in a spire by two pyramids of pointed edges, and in the posterior part a reliquary crowned by a merlons rank.

The interior of the church is divided in three aisles, by an imposing range of pointed arches. In the main chapel are located the altarpieces and the 14th century paintings, besides the resting place of D. Álvaro Gonçalves de Ataíde, the 1st Count of Atouguia. It is also important to mention the front altar, made of bas-relief in white lime representing the Nativity.

NOSSA SENHORA DA CONCEIÇÃO CHURCH - ATOUGUIA DA BALEIA

The Nossa Senhora da Conceição Church, in Atouguia da Baleia, dates from the end of the 17th century. It is a barouche style temple, attributed to the architect João Antunes, and was built with the charity of the population and some noble personalities of the 17th century Portugal, such as the Queen, D. Maria Sofia Isabel de Neuburgo, second wife of D. Pedro II.

Inside there is only one vaulted aisle, where the main chapel covered in many shades of marble stands out (from the colonnade of the altarpieces to the lateral walls and ceiling medallions), the golden cut altar, where the image of the patroness is housed, a 17th century piece, and the holy water basins, made of marble from Arrábida, and sculpted in the form of shells.

CONSOLAÇÃO FORTRESS

The Fortress of Nossa Senhora da Consolação, built by order of D. João IV in 1641 and, according to inscriptions in its main gate, finished in 1645, is integrated into a an ample defence and fortification strategy for the coast line of the Peniche region, with great improvements after restoration.

This fortification built under the Nossa Senhora da Consolação Hill, was inserted dominantly over the South Bay of the Peniche isthmus. It was with its powerful artillery, whose reach crossed the reach of the artillery from the Peniche Fortress, an important obstacle to any hostile landing in the shore of this bay, a place where earlier the British army had landed in 1589, led by D. António, Prior of Crato.



< Back

INFORMATIONS

CONTACTS
Phone: 262 789 571 | Fax: 262 789 571
E-mail: turismo@cm-peniche.pt

LOCATION

Peniche Tourist Information Center
Rua Alexandre Herculano
2520-273 Peniche


 





Subscribe Newsletter and receive all the news in your email.