PENICHE’S BOBBIN LACE MUSEUM
Peniche Bobbin Lace is widely considered
the ex-libris of the area’s crafts, an essential reference in cultural heritage
and an asset of substantial relevance, recognized both in Portugal and abroad.
Peniche Bobbin Lace very possibly dates
back to more than four centuries ago and the making of bobbin lace was an art
passed from generation to generation. Peniche Bobbin Lace grew a reputation
abroad from the mid-nineteenth century onwards, winning numerous awards and
honours in international fairs.
Today, Peniche Bobbin Lace represents a
renowned cultural heritage, which combines new applications and old patterns in
a centuries-old handicraft.
Multiple initiatives aim at promoting Peniche
Bobbin Lace, such as the inauguration of the monument to lace makers, the
Mostra Internacional de Renda de Bilros de Peniche [International Peniche
Bobbin Lace Show] and the creation of creative synergies for the innovation and
use of bobbin lace.
Integrated in the district council’s museum
network, Peniche’s Bobbin Lace Museum opened in July 2016 and is dedicated to
the study, conservation, enhancement and dissemination of this important
Pencihe cultural heritage in its material and immaterial aspects.
Bobbin Lace is undoubtedly part of the cultural
heritage of Peniche’s people – a Living Heritage, which is proof of the identity,
memories and secular traditions of the area.
CENTRE OF ATOUGUIA DA BALEIA
in the Museological Network of the Municipality of Peniche, the Interpretative
Centre of Atouguia da Baleia - CIAB, aims to study, value and enhance the
historical and cultural heritage of the county, offering an integrated vision
of the Historical Region of Atouguia da Baleia. This Museum contains various
scientific fields ranging from geology and paleontology to archeology and
history, including human geography and anthropology.
project involved the rehabilitation of a historic building - the church of St.
Joseph, also integrated in the visit to the CIAB - and the construction of the
annexed building, interpretative centre. Since 2007 the work concerning the
study, inventory, conservation and enhancement of the integrated or integrating
heritage has been developed in the museum space or in situ. Of these, we
highlight the conservation and restoration of all pieces/estate that belong to
the CIAB, emphasizing the work done on the altar piece of the Church of S.
Joseph, as well as the Participatory Inventory of Cultural Heritage, which,
with the support of the community and population living in the different towns
of the parish, allowed a better understanding of the cultural heritage that
belongs to Atouguia da Baleia.
Built by decree of D. João III in 1557 and finished in 1645, it was considered by D. João III the main marine entrance to the PortugueseKingdom. The Peniche Fortress
has important features: not only the typical star shaped form, but also
the rounded bastion – the first fortification built in the Peniche
peninsula – the Sentinel Tower and the Santa Bárbara Chapel.
This stronghold has seen its
grounds used in many different ways, according to the needs and
historical changes of each period. A military stronghold of vital
strategic importance until 1897, it has been a shelter to the Boer
refugees from South Africa in the early twentieth century, a residence
for the German and Austrian war prisoners during the First World War, a
political prison for the Estado Novo between 1934 and 1974, a
temporary lodging for Portuguese families coming from the former
overseas colonies in 1974, and from 1984 on it receives the Municipal
The Peniche Fortress has special relevance as an important historical witness to the national and local character.
territory traditionally short in drinking water, the Peniche peninsula
displays until today a landscape marked by a diverse range of fountains
and wells, of which one of the most important is the Rosary Fountain.
The Rosary Fountain
is a majestic diving well, in
which, for ease of use, an accessibility ramp and a small indoors
courtyard was built, allowing the carriages and animals transporting the
precious water to the village to turn around.
Probably built in the 16th or 17th centuries
, to tend to the needs of the land, it was restored in the18th century
, according to the 1717
inscription engraved on the rocks in the entry archway.
The Furninha’s Cave, located on the south coast of the Peniche peninsula, is a natural cave used during pre-historical times, and is one of the most important pre-historical sites of the municipality.
Currently located along the sea,
this cave was used from the Middle Palaeolithic period to the end of
the Chalcolithic era, and was excavated in the 1880s by the researcher Nery Delgado.
Used as a shelter
and a cemetery, this pre-historical site
has given ample archaeological spoils, such as: osteological remains
from many hominids, namely Homo Sapiens (Neanderthal Man) and Homo
Sapiens Sapiens (Modern Man); remains of animal life from the quaternary
period (fish and mammals); utensils from the lithic period (bifacials,
spear heads, polished stone axels…); bone utensils; and many ceramic
pieces from the Neolithic period (the celebrated suspended vases of the
These numerous remains are spread throughout many museums. One of them is the Peniche Municipal Museum.
S. PEDRO CHURCH
The S. Pedro Church
is located in the heart of the historical centre of Peniche, and it is the largest place of worship in the municipality.
This church, dating from the end of the16th century
, is divided into three aisles.
In the lateral aisles there are many altars consecrated to sanctities such as Nossa Senhora da Boa Viagem, Senhor do Bonfim, or São Pedro de Alcântara.
In the central aisle, there is the barouche majesty of the main chapel, consecrated to S. Pedro
, embellished with golden engravings and displaying beautiful dorsal columns, besides many 18th
century paintings representing the life of the patron saint.
It is without doubt the most imposing church of the municipality
The Misericord Church, dated from the beginning of the 17th century, belongs to the Peniche Misericord House.
This church, attached to the old Peniche House of Misericord Hospital, shows a rare interior design beauty, visible in the tile panels of the 18th century, in the oil paintings,
some of great dimension, that decorate its walls with scenes related to
evangelical moments, and in the ceilings decorated with adorned frames,
illustrated with scenes from the life and passion of Christ.
NOSSA SENHORA DOS REMÉDIOS SANCTUARY
The Nossa Senhora dos Remédios Chapel
, located in the most occidental extreme of the PenichePeninsula
coast, is the base of a Sanctuary dedicated to worshipping the Holy
Mary. The date of this church’s construction is unknown; however, it is
supposed to have been built in the 12th
According to the legend, the Holy Mary was found in the 12th
century, hidden in a cave located where the chapel is today, what gave rise to the worship of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios.
importance of this worship, translated into annual pilgrimages and to
the popular festivals, is supposed to have motivated the creation of the
Sanctuary in the 17th century. The Sanctuary is composed of the Chapel
and a front square squirted by houses in which the hermit and the
churchwarden used to live, and where the pilgrims were sheltered, and
the horse stables were located.
Some of the important features of this temple are the main chapel, were the image of Our Lady is worshiped, the 18th
century ceramic panels alluding to the chapters of the Passion of
Christ, and the so called small chapel of the Dead Lord, where an image
of Christ named Senhor dos Remédios is worshiped.
S. JOÃO BAPTISTA FORTRESS
The St. John the Baptist Fortress
is located in the Berlenga Island
, its construction was ordered by D. João IV in 1651 and it was concluded in 1656.
Built to prevent the island
occupation by the North African corsairs or greater enemy powers, it
survived until June 1666, when the most remarkable war episode of its
history took place.
In this occasion, a Spanish squad, composed
by fourteen vessels and a caravel, commanded by D. Diogo Ibarra, beset
the St. John Baptist fortress. A small guard, with less than twenty men,
and depending only on nine artillery pieces, defended this fortress
bravely. The Guard under the command of corporal Avelar Pessoa, managed
to resist during two days to the fierce enemy assault, as well as
inflict important losses to the enemy forces, translated into a large
number of casualties, a sank vessel and two other highly damaged
vessels, suffering only one casualty and four injuries.
depletion of the resources and ammunition, and the flight of some
soldiers, exposed D. Diogo Ibarra to a dramatic situation in the
Portuguese defence, and culminated in the S. João Baptista Fortress
TOURIL - ATOUGUIA DA BALEIA
Dated possibly from the 17th century
the Touril, as it is known nowadays, seems to correspond to a structure
used occasionally as the stage for bullfighting affairs, by the idle
royal family and nobles frequently lodged in the neighbouring Paço da Serra de El-Rei
is still possible to observe from the Touril, located at the plaza in
front of the Nossa Senhora da Conceição Church, in Atouguia da Baleia,
the many stone protections settled in the ground circumscribing the
“arena”, displaying the three traditional holes.
The Touril of Atouguia da Baleia
represents one of the rarest, and at the same time oldest, examples of its genre in Portugal.