FORTALEZA DE PENICHE
Fortress of Peniche
Mandada construir em 1557 por D. Luís de Ataíde, Conde de Atouguia, e concluída em 1645, no reinado de D. João IV, a Fortaleza de Peniche encabeçava um vasto sistema defensivo que se estendia de Nazaré a Mafra.
Esta fortaleza de planta estrelada irregular defendia a Vila e o Porto de Peniche. Foi sede do Regimento de Peniche, renomeado, no séc. XIX, Regimento de Infantaria n.º 13.
Findas as suas funções militares, aqui funcionou uma prisão política do Estado Novo entre a década de 1930 e 1974.
Atualmente alberga o Museu Nacional Resistência e Liberdade.NACIONAL MONUMENTThe construction of the fortress was ordered by D. Luis de Ataíde, the Count of Atouguia, in 1557. It was completed in 1645 during the reign of D. João IV. The Fortress of Peniche represented a vast defensive system that extended from Nazaré until Mafra.The Fortress of irregular star shape defended the village and the Port of Peniche. It was also a headquarters of Regiment of Peniche that in the 19th century was renamed to Infantry Regiment n º 13.At the end of its military functions a political prison of Estado Novo was located there between 1930s and 1974.Currently it is hosting a National Museum of Resistance and Freedom.
Vista aérea da Fortaleza de Peniche / Aerial view of Fortress of Peniche